a journal of a researcher

Sunday, January 23, 2005

The challenge of launching projects

What to choose for research is a real challenge for a researcher. I do not know if my thoughts are on the right way to a productive career. I want the real problems, the problems from the real life. I do not want to produce papers from my brain. This means a lot of conversations with partners not in the CS research, and a lot of software engineering work before identifying a theoretical topic. I find all my life is to traverse all the possible paths. Only after I tried all the paths, I find a way out. So, I am not so smart and lucky person. Maybe everyone thinks like me?

1 Comments:

  • Yes, I don't think it is possible to infer or deduce what the really important problems are. You have to go exploring.

    That's a bit like the Europeans trying to find China... one of them thought "it is expensive to go through Arabia and India, so let's assume the Earth is round and let's go the other way"... This was the intuition, the insight... but it took a really long time before these same Europeans made it to China going West...

    Yet, what they found on their way to China was so much more important than the initial goal... but how could they have known America was there?

    You just had to explore to find out...

    By Blogger Daniel Lemire, at 4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home