a journal of a researcher

Monday, June 21, 2004

Conflicts and Opportunities

I read again the paper "Characterizing Diagnoses and Systems" by Johan de Kleer, Alan Mackworth and Raymond Reiter. It is one of the four classic papers in this domain. The more I read it, the more I like it. When the paper was published in 1992, Canadian led the area. Reiter was from U of T and Machworth from UBC. But now I don't see Canadian in DX anymore. Reiter past away in 2002 and is memorized by AI people by devoting IJCAI03 proceedings to him.

I installed Tomcat on my notebook as a start to prepare my web services course. I didn't touch intensive programming for three years.

Today I also have a little misunderstanding with one of my collaborators. This makes me think what is important in my life and what is the leadership. On one hand, I take it seriously and enjoy all the joys this career can offer me; on the other hand, I do not take it as the only meaning of my existence and I won't do anything I can to get what I want. This misunderstanding orginally comes from my lack of communication before I take an action. Thinking always everyone's interests is a condition of leanership. Be generous and have vision are the other two conditions. That is what I learned today.

2 Comments:

  • Hi

    Having been in business for over 25 years and worked with both 'managers' and 'leaders' I would suggest thst leadership is about the ability (whether conscious or otherwise) to inspire people to their best efforts for a common goal. Yes they must be able to take everyone's condition into account and be generous in their praise but moving people towards the desired goal is what defines the leader.

    Peter Fisher

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:23 AM  

  • The head coach has a good point. I agree to it in general cases. My area is special, because it is full of smart heads and indulgent hands. So, the leadership means understanding people and able to compromise.

    By Blogger flydragon, at 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home